As a kid, my parents used to buy frozen pizza baguettes – a quick and easy meal you could pop in the oven. I loved those pizzas – crunchy, gooey and easy to hold in your hands. Maybe they have them here in the freezer isle as well? I’m not sure. This past weekend we decided to make some of our own for lunch. Grabbed a baguette, cut it lengthwise, added toppings of choice and popped it under the broiler for 4 minutes. Done. Add whatever you like to make it your favourite. Enjoy!
- Baguette into six inch pieces and split in half.
- Tomato pesto
- Tomato sauce
- Ham, sliced
- Mushrooms, sliced
- Yellow pepper, chopped small
- Grated mozzarella cheese
- Dried Italian herbs
- Preheat broiler. Add one teaspoon of store bought tomato pesto to each slice and spread it around. Add one tablespoon of store-bought or left-over tomato sauce on each slice and distribute evenly.
- Cover with toppings of choice (we made meat ones with ham and pepperoni and veggie ones with peppers and mushrooms). Cover each piece with one to two tablespoons of grated mozzarella. Sprinkle with dried herbs.
- Pop under broiler for 3-5 minutes. Keep your eyes on them so they don't burn. Eat while warm.
Adding pesto is optional, but I think it gives the pizzas a bit more depth in flavour.