We have these twisty, cheesy bread sticks at our grocery store. They are yummy and addictive, buttery and crumbly. The kids love them and I love them. Looking at the package I note that they are imported from Switzerland – go figure! But they are expensive and buying bread sticks that travel the Atlantic to get to me does seem excessive.
While I can’t replicate them exactly, I can make a puff pastry version. If there’s one thing I love it’s puff pastry. Not only is it a buttery indulgence, but it’s also readily available at the grocery store. I made these cheesy puff pastry twists for Classic Play and thought I’d share them with you as well. I made them with the kids – easy, fun and oh so yummy! Have them as a snack, serve them at a cocktail party along with these or with some tomato soup. Enjoy!
- 1 box of frozen puff pastry dough, thawed. Ours comes in two sheets, already rolled out and with parchment around it. You need two sheets that are the same size.
- 1 egg
- 1/2 cup shredded Mozzarella cheese
- 1/2 cup shredded Parmesan
- 1/2 tablespoon dried basil
- 1/2 teaspoon chili pepper
- 1 teaspoon of roasted garlic powder
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees F and line a baking sheet with parchment paper.
- Gently unroll one puff pastry sheet onto baking sheet.
- Whisk egg and brush the egg wash on the rectangle of puff pastry dough (only on one side) and reserve the leftover egg wash.
- Mix together the Mozzarella and Parmesan cheese, basil, chili and garlic and sprinkle mixture over the egg washed rectangle. Sprinkle with salt and pepper.
- Carefully brush the egg wash on the other rectangle of puff pastry dough.
- Place the other half of the pastry (egg side down) on top of the cheese mixture and press the two halves together using your hands or roll lightly with the rolling pin. Gently press edges to seal.
- Using a pizza cutter, cut the pastry into 1/2 inch strips.
- Working one at a time, gently twist each strip and lay on the baking sheet making sure to press down the ends so that they don't curl when baking. When all of the strips have been twisted and placed on the baking sheet, lightly brush each twist with the remaining egg wash.
- Bake for 12-15 minutes or until the twists are golden brown.
- Remove from the oven and serve warm or cooled.