I’m in a January lunch box rut – everything seems boring, overly predictable or just not enticing. I’m sure it has to do with the bitter cold we’ve been dealing with and the only marginally brighter evenings. However, these little guys came to the rescue. These Smoked Trout Snails are fun for kids and adults alike. They pack a good dose of protein – no cutlery needed and they fit just as well into a lunch box as they do onto a party platter. Swap the trout for any smoked fish variety you like and add spinach instead of arugula if you don’t like the peppery flavor.
- large flour tortilla
- 1 tablespoon of cream cheese
- ¼ cup of torn smoked trout
- handful of arugula
- Warm tortilla on a gas flame or in microwave for a minute to make it more pliable.
- Spread with cream cheese.
- Layer with smoked trout and arugula.
- Roll carefully, making sure to tuck in all the fish and arugula.
- With a very sharp knife, cut ½ - 1” snails.