The other week I had a full crate of Ontario tomatoes. I decided to make this simple roasted tomato sauce. The sauce is wonderful and works perfectly on pasta. However, I also had a craving for eggs baked in tomato sauce and this recipe came together really easily. A few great ingredients and we had a perfect weekend breakfast – just a little ‘diavolo’ heat for me, and a lot of ‘diavolo’ heat for my husband.
- 3 cups of good quality tomato sauce
- 2 teaspoons of chili
- 2 teaspoons of cayenne pepper
- 1 teaspoon of paprika
- 4 eggs
- 2 cups of baby spinach or arugula
- Red pepper flakes (optional)
- Hot sauce (optional)
- Add tomato sauce to small/medium frying pan. Heat on medium heat. Season to 'diavolo' level you like with chili, cayenne and paprika.
- Once sauce is gently bubbling, crack all four eggs into the sauce. Cover with lid and let cook about 3-5 minutes, depending on how well done you want your eggs. Remove lid and serve immediately with shavings of parmesan, greens and added spice (red pepper flakes and hot sauce).
- Serve with bread to soak up all the saucy goodness.