Have you started harvesting any tomatoes yet? Or is your grocery store filled to the brim with local fruit? This is the time of the year to indulge in them before they turn bland and just accompany a sandwich for colour.
I like to keep things simple in the summer and with good quality ingredients there isn’t much fussing needed. Just a hot BBQ, some fresh produce, good quality feta and a sprinkle of pine nuts. People loved this salad at our Midsummer Party earlier this year. It’s the perfect accompaniment for your grilled burgers or sausages.
- 2 cups of cherry tomatoes
- 1 cup of arugula
- 1 cup of baby spinach
- 1/3 cup of cubed feta
- 3 tablespoons of pine nuts
- handful of torn basil (optional)
- salt and pepper
- olive oil
- lemon juice
- Heat BBQ and place tomatoes in a heat safe grilling pan. Season with salt and pepper and drizzle with olive oil. Roast in BBQ until skins start blistering, about 10 minutes. Take off heat.
- In the meantime, arrange arugula an spinach on a platter, top with tomatoes, sprinkle with feta, pine nuts and basil. Season with salt and pepper, drizzle with a little more oil and a good squeeze of lemon juice. Serve immediately.