Along with all the beets – I also have a huge amount of tomatoes hanging out on my counter. It’s that time of year – the bumper crops are rolling in and we quickly need to find ways to use our produce. While I’m thinking about making tomato sauce, or even tomato jam – the tomatoes are so good that I also want to eat them as is – so salad it is.
This little combination plays off each other really well – the juicy tomatoes, sweet corn, the creaminess of the avocado and the zing of the red onion. Everything comes together easily and with no cooking time involved. Perfect for that big bowl of tomatoes hanging out on your counter.
- 6 medium sized firm tomatoes
- 1 avocado
- corn from one cob (cooked) - or 1 cup of frozen corn warmed up
- 1/4 red onion sliced thinly
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Juice from 1 lemon
- 3 tablespoons of grape seed oil
- 1 tablespoon of Dijon mustard
- 1 tablespoon of maple syrup
- Cut tomatoes into 1 inch chunks. Cut avocado into 1/2 inch pieces. Remove corn from cob or use warmed frozen corn. Slice red onion into thin slices. Combine all the vegetables. Season with salt and pepper.
- Combine lemon juice, oil, Dijon mustard and maple syrup. Season to taste with salt and pepper. Adjust sweetness to your liking.
- Toss salad with dressing and serve immediately.
If you add beans, this could serve as a light meal.