This year we managed to go apple picking again. It was a perfect fall day with mild temperatures and blue skies. We had so much fun and ended up with a huge amount of apples. While I love eating them almost every day, there are just too many of them. The best way to use up a lot of apples? Applesauce! We like to mix the sauce into yogurt or our morning oatmeal and sometimes it will even end up in a cake. This version has a nice little zip of ginger since I’m really into using ginger with fruits these days.
- 20 -25 apples, cored but not peeled, and cut into large pieces
- 2 cups of unsweetened applesauce (optional)
- 2 cups of water
- 1 heaping tablespoon of ginger
- 1 tablespoon of vanilla
- 1/3 cup of sugar (optional if not using apple juice)
- In a large saucepan, combine all ingredients and simmer at medium/high for 15-20 minutes until fruit is soft. Keep stirring from time to time to keep the foam down. Adjust sweetness to your liking.
- Let cool a little and blend with immersion blender or in a vitamix for smooth texture. Keep in storage jars in the fridge or freezer.