In my quest for easy meals and a bit of colour on a dreary day, I opted to try an exotic mango pineapple salad. This bright dish comes together really fast – the biggest job will be cutting and peeling both fruit. So, if you want to speed up the process and can spare a few extra dollars, go ahead and buy the pre-cut mango and pineapple at the deli counter. The rest is just chopping a few herbs and mixing a few things in a big bowl. Serve this salad along any protein you want – grilled chicken breast or a nice piece of salmon and you’ll have an instant healthy meal with a bit of an exotic kick. Just enough to make you dream of Jamaican beach resorts or a Miami get-away. With temperatures still way below average for mid-April – dreaming is all I can muster these days. Dreaming and eating exotic fruit.
- 2 tablespoons fresh lime juice, plus more to taste
- 2 tablespoons fish sauce, plus more to taste
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- 1 green mango, peeled, pitted, and cut into small cubes
- 1 pineapple, peeled, cored and cut into small cubes
- 3 scallions, very thinly sliced
- 1/4 cup fresh cilantro leaves
- 1/4 cup fresh mint leaves, chopped
- 2 tablespoons peanuts or cashews - chopped or whole
- 1/2 teaspoon red-pepper flakes
- In a large bowl, whisk together lime juice, fish sauce, and sugar until sugar dissolves. Add mango, pineapple, scallions, cilantro, and mint and toss to coat. Taste and adjust seasoning with additional lime juice and fish sauce as desired. Top with nuts and red-pepper flakes.