The October issue of Martha Stewart Living had a great looking Devil’s Food Cake. We didn’t have a birthday coming up, but I kept thinking of it for weeks and decided to make a chocolate cake for company, shortly before Halloween. You need a couple of people to put a dent in such a rich and tall cake, right?
I wanted to make the one from the magazine, but last minute opted for this easy recipe, also from Martha Stewart. It gave me three nice layers, which I then covered in a Chococolate Mascarpone Whip Cream Frosting. Because we were so close to Halloween I also added our coloured Skull sprinkles.
I just needed an excuse to make another layered chocolate cake, and Halloween turned out to be a great reason! Enjoy!
- 1 large tub of mascarpone
- 1/3 cup of unsweetened cocoa
- 1 cup of powdered sugar
- 2.5 cups of whipping cream
- Combine mascarpone, cocoa and sugar with a mixer until smooth and creamy.
- Add whipping cream and whip at medium-high speed until the cream turns to a whipped cream consistency. Don't over-whip the mixture.